Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
lawyers weekly logo
Advertisement
News
29 August 2025 by Miranda Brownlee

Latest performance test results prompt further calls for test overhaul

APRA’s latest superannuation performance test results raise critical questions around how effective the test currently is and whether further changes ...
icon

HESTA, ART to challenge ATO’s position on imputation credits in Federal Court

Industry fund HESTA has filed an appeal against an ATO decision on tax offsets from franking credits, with the ...

icon

Net flows, Altius acquisition push Australian Ethical FUM to record high

The ethical investment manager has reported record funds under management of $13.94 billion following positive net ...

icon

Europe sets the standard as ASIC pressure puts weak links on 2-year clock

While European private credit funds treat independent valuations and transparency as standard, local experts have warned ...

icon

Most cryptocurrencies are ‘garbage’, best left untouched by ETFs

For the time being, cryptocurrency adoption in Australia might be best served by focusing on the major players, says ...

icon

Perpetual doubles down on strategic reset despite stalled wealth arm sale

Six months after scrapping its planned deal with KKR, Perpetual is yet to make headway on the sale of its wealth ...

VIEW ALL

Minister leaves door open to SWF

  •  
By
  •  
4 minute read

The government has not completely abandoned the idea of a sovereign wealth fund.

Finance and Deregulation Minister Penny Wong has left the door open to the establishment of a sovereign wealth fund (SWF), but ruled out using the revenue from the minerals resource rent tax (MRRT) for such a fund.

"The issue of a sovereign wealth fund is not an uncommon topic of discussion," Wong said at the Economist Conference Bellwether series in Sydney on Tuesday.

"Obviously in terms of the MRRT, we have already indicated what that money would be spent on, which is a reduction of the company tax rate with a headstart for small business . and the superannuation, which is obviously an investment for the longer term.

"In terms of where future surpluses will go, as the Treasurer has said that is obviously a policy question that the government is open to."

 
 

Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan earlier that day said the expected revenue stream from a mineral tax would not be enough to justify the establishment of an SWF.

"It wouldn't do anything in our current situation and it wouldn't do anything for some time to come," Swan said in an interview with ABC Radio.

"Commonwealth revenues are down $130 billion to what they were prior to the onset of the global financial crisis and the global recession. It is going to take some time for those revenues to return.

"There will be some substantial revenues flowing to our country over time, but not significant enough to build up the sort of sovereign wealth fund that those people are talking about."

He also rejected the idea of restructuring the $75 billion Future Fund so it could function as an SWF.

"The future fund is there for, and dedicated to, the public service superannuation liabilities and it is dedicated against that liability for the future," he said.

The MRRT legislation is scheduled to go to Parliament later this year.