The Australian ETF sector has reached its highest monthly funds under management (FUM) increase of $2.3 billion, surpassing the previous peak of $2 billion in November 2017, according to BetaShares.
The fund management’s Australian ETF Review for February 2019 reported that the industry ended the month at a high of $44.8 billion in FUM.
BetaShares said market rebounds meant that the substantial industry growth primarily came from price increases, “accounting for 80 per cent of the total, with the other 20 per cent due to net inflows amounting to $524 million.”
Investor appetite for global exposures also grew, the report noted, with international equities receiving the largest amount of net inflows, around $211 million.
Australian bonds and cash followed with inflows of $151 million and $40 million respectively.
“From a performance perspective, Chinese equities performed most strongly in February due to the substantial price recovery experienced in this market,” BetaShares added.
“Net outflows at a category level were limited but relegated to small amounts of profit-taking in gold exposures.”
There are currently 242 exchange traded products trading on the ASX.
Four products matured during the month, and no new products were launched.
Sarah Simpkins is a journalist at Momentum Media, reporting primarily on banking, financial services and wealth.
Prior to joining the team in 2018, Sarah spent her career working in business-to-business media, including print and online, as well as cutting her teeth on current affairs programs for community radio.
Sarah has a dual bachelor's degree in science and journalism from the University of Queensland.
You can contact her on [email protected].
The government has released its royal commission implementation roadmap to set out how it will deliver on its response to the royal commissi...
K2 Asset Management suffered a $1.3 million loss in financial year 2019, dragging its profit down by 125.71 per cent year-on-year. ...
Financial services provider Fiducian Group grew its profit by 15 per cent in financial year 2019, with the business reaping the benefits of ...