- Monday, 02 April 2007 | Columnist
The reform is intended to ensure fair and economically sustainable benefits while encouraging older workers to stay on the job longer.
The new system will count all income toward pension levels. This aims to improve retirement benefits for many, especially women, who work part time.
The system will also allow pensioners who work after retirement age to earn income without it reducing their pension payments.
Norway is the world's third-largest oil exporter, after Saudi Arabia and Russia, and sets aside surplus wealth in what is now Europe's largest pension fund.
Despite the nearly €220 billion in the fund, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development and others have warned the current system's costs cannot be sustained as life expectancy increases and more workers choose early retirement.
Latest from InvestorWeekly
- CFS enhances Essential Super
- Financial Synergy launches SuperStream platform
- WaveStone launches Aussie equities fund
- ANZ widens China Development Bank agreement
- Japan FTA to bolster financial services export: FSC
- Westpac establishes Shanghai sub-branch
- NAB invests in Misys trade finance platform
- NGS Super rebrands
- AMP Capital raises US$450m for infrastructure debt fund
- RBA upbeat about economy, says HSBC
- A weather forecast for 2014
- Is Asian turbulence a win for China?
- Why Detroit’s honest self-renewal is a lesson for Japan
- Volatility means opportunity for fixed-income investors
- US Fed likely to stick to existing policy
- Asian bonds offer value after Fed-induced sell-off
- Convertible bonds: solid foundations are needed when reaching for the upside
- ING DIRECT urges third parties to prepare for Basel changes
- A straight-forward channel
- Crystal balls and consistent returns
- Praemium appoints director to board
- T. Rowe Price appoints insto sales manager
- Wilson HTM appoints managing director
- BTIM appoints non-executive director
- Westpac Institutional Bank adds to Asia Advisory Board
- ANZ CIO steps down
- Legg Mason appoints director of sales
- DST Global appoints solutions manager
- Neuberger Berman appoints multi-class CIO
- ANZ makes appointment to board