- Monday, 02 April 2007 | Columnist
The reform is intended to ensure fair and economically sustainable benefits while encouraging older workers to stay on the job longer.
The new system will count all income toward pension levels. This aims to improve retirement benefits for many, especially women, who work part time.
The system will also allow pensioners who work after retirement age to earn income without it reducing their pension payments.
Norway is the world's third-largest oil exporter, after Saudi Arabia and Russia, and sets aside surplus wealth in what is now Europe's largest pension fund.
Despite the nearly €220 billion in the fund, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development and others have warned the current system's costs cannot be sustained as life expectancy increases and more workers choose early retirement.
Latest from InvestorWeekly
- Nikko AM restructures multi-asset teams
- First State Super adds MSCI platform
- Henderson launches fixed interest fund
- Asset managers facing operational pressures
- Perpetual expands trustee services in Singapore
- Christian super funds merge
- Funds management mergers tipped to continue
- AMG acquires River Road Asset Management
- Aus Unity fund acquires option for green office building
- NAB in talks with global custody providers
- Weighing up default fund insurance
- Don’t neglect developed markets
- Hunting for ‘preferred infrastructure’
- Westfield: a failure of engagement
- Can Europe avoid Japan’s fate?
- Cleaning up with clean technology
- Obsession with fees hurting retirees
- Do we need independent directors?
- Australian corporate debt: The phoenix rises
- A weather forecast for 2014
- Westpac Institutional Bank hires GM
- Skaffold hires wholesale markets head
- Roy Morgan appoints GM, financial services
- ANZ appoints director to board
- Northern Trust announces leadership changes
- Bravura appoints chief information officer
- Westpac NZ CEO resigns
- MyState makes appointment to distribution team
- Rubik appoints chief operating officer
- Australian Ethical appoints portfolio manager